We ask authors to submit their work in an MS Word document, in plain, unformatted text, using 12 pt. Times New Roman. (Poetry and certain other prose are exempt from this request; they should be formatted by you in the manner you desire.)
If your submission cites others’ work, we expect it to reflect your careful attention to the following requirements.
- APA 6th Edition style is used for both in-text citations and reference list (resource links are supplied below).
- Direct quotes must have full citation with page number(s).
- All works cited in the text appear on the reference list.
- The reference list includes only those works that are cited within the text.
Other guidelines to review and assure that your submission reflects them.
Margins Use 1″ margins: top, bottom, left, and right.
- Single spaced text
- Use one space after periods.
- Do not use auto-hyphenation.
Emphasis & Language usage
- Use italics only where they add clarity.
- Do not use wording with all-capital letters anywhere
- Use non-biased language.
- IR supports and encourages the norm reflected in APA and other U.S. style guides that require gender-inclusive language. In the rare cases when an author’s point is made by breaching this norm, editors will generally welcome an explanation and support the creative approach. In general, this inclusive norm will be reflected in works published. For support, seehttp://www.etsu.edu/WRITING/3120f99/ZNJC1/howtogenbi.htm on avoiding gender-exclusive language.
- See http://www.apastyle.org/disabilities.html on avoiding disabilities-biased language
- See http://www.apastyle.org/sexuality.html on avoiding heterosexually-biased language
- See http://www.apastyle.org/race.html on avoiding racial/ethnic bias in language
- Omit headers and footers
- Do not use “hard” (enter key) returns at the end of a sentence, only at the end of a paragraph.
- Put punctuation marks inside of quotation marks.
- Use footnotes rather than endnotes.
Author/creator biographical information:
- Supply 3-8 lines of text about the author(s)/creator(s), primary affiliations and interests.
- Geographical address may include full mailing address or just city, state/province, and country.
References & Citations
- Please refer to these links about APA 6th Edition style
- Be sure all direct quotations include full citation with page number.
Tables, Figures, Graphics, Photos
- Place titles for tables above the table.
- For figures, place title below the figure.
- Photos, including color photos, will be accepted. These should be in the smallest sized possible jpg, or other common file type, to enable appropriate resolution on screen.